- The takeaway from this week’s episode is … you must face anything of excess in your life to target the addictions.
- Here’s what this will do for you … identifying your addictions is the first step to being who you are, giving you power over them.
- Here’s what I want you to do with it … to activate the power you have over your addictions – write them down. Admit everything you know about your addictions. This is how you will unravel and disarm them.
There are many different types of addictions beyond the ones you hear about like, drugs or alcohol.
Addiction to anything follows a pattern. It starts with exposure, that first experience or curiosity then continued exposure, and then addiction.
Your brain receptors become overloaded, and you have to do or take more of your substance of addiction in order to get to that high you crave. You can be addicted to drugs, alcohol, pharmaceuticals, gambling, eating, sex, love, the Internet, your phone, video games, exercising, your work, and much more. All of these addictions are outside of yourself. Addictions are distractions. Addictions happen when they become habits of distractions. Addictions are appealing when you choose to escape your current life situation, what you are dissatisfied with.
Curing addictions involve acceptance, attention, and action:
- Acceptance of who you are and what you are going through. Accepting yourself as you are.
- Paying attention to the guidance you are always receiving.
- Take action on that guidance so you don’t slip back into addictions.
We would never encourage any type of addiction or distractions. We encourage the three “A’s” … acceptance of who you are, the ability to not take things personally, so you are able to evolve in balance. The addictions are not you.
CALL TO ACTION:
You can be addicted to all types of things even some you feel are good for you.
Addictions start out – first as an experience or curiosity. So write down the details about these experiences and curiosities because this action will prevent either one of these from ever becoming an addiction.
It’s only when you are paying attention, accepting of the truth, and taking action that you can eliminate addictions from your life.
HOW IT WORKS: Addictions disconnect you from the present moment. In fact, that’s the appeal of an addiction, avoid what is unpleasant at the moment. Of course, the obvious solution is to change what makes you unhappy but that would require you to face the things you have been avoiding or didn’t realize were wrong for you. The addiction numbed your senses as an immediate coping mechanism. Addictions prevent or postpone the change that is causing the addiction in the first place. An addiction becomes temporary as soon as you recognize it is there and that it’s not who you are. This is when you have power over the addiction to stop it. ~ Linda Deir